Facts about children being brought up by their grandparents:
- In more than 2.4 million families, children are parented by their grandparents. This is 19% more since the 1990’s.
- In most of the cases, the children live permanently with their grandparents instead of their parents.
The relationship between a grandparent and a grandchild is a very unique one. Children living with grandparents share stronger bonds than those who live with their parents. Being with a grandparent during the growth years can have some positive impacts on the emotional and behavioral development of the child.
Positive Impacts on children living with grandparents:
- A good emotional bond with a grandparent can be effective for the child’s academic, social and mental development.
- Grandparents are always more affectionate and friendly with the children than the biological parents. Children are more comfortable sharing their daily experiences with their grandparents.
- Children get to know more about their culture and learn history.
- Children living with grandparents are less likely to make wrong choices in their life.
Are grandparents benefitted from their grandchildren living with them?
- Spending time with a child helps elderly people to remain more active and feel younger.
- Parents need to be aware of their needs and remember their routine which also helps to keep their memory strong and reduces chances of memory loss due to age.
- Children living with grandparents help them develop more tolerance for the younger generations and understand their ways better.
- Getting to parent a grandchild is like revisiting the past with an opportunity to do better than the last time.
- Lessons learnt in the past helps them in raising their grandchild as best as they can.
- Raising a grandchild allows to spend more time with them and build a close relationship which in turn helps to get to know each other better.
- Being a primary caregiver to a child gives the elderly a greater purpose in living and move forward in life.
Email us at email@example.com