Maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle is necessary throughout a person’s lifetime, more so for seniors. There are certain foods that are considered ‘healthy’ but are not so for elders.
Various foods considered unfit for elders due to the presence of high bacterial content or food poisoning potential are listed below:-
- Sprouts: Usually considered a health food, when seeds sprout, bacteria like Salmonella and E-coli can grow, which is then trapped in the seed. Seniors who consume such contaminated food, can get seriously ill which can often lead to pneumonia or weight loss. To get similar benefits like that of sprouts, seniors should consume a lot of leafy greens like spinach, lettuce, kale and collard greens like cabbage and broccoli.
- Raw Meat: Elders should consider avoiding certain raw varieties of meat like Carpaccio (thin slivers of beef) and steak tartare. The sole reason being that these foods are uncooked. Alternatively, elders should go for lean white meat like chicken and seafood on a regular basis, as there are good for the brain and joints.
- Unpasteurised milk: Seniors should avoid unpasteurised milk altogether as it harbours a high level of bacteria. In comparison, pasteurised milk is heated in order to remove the bacteria. Therefore elders do not need to avoid milk altogether, but should stick to pasteurised whole milk varieties.
- Multigrain bread: While choosing the variety of bread, one should make a mental note of the ingredients list. Bread that is made of refined flour or high-fructose corn syrup may do more harm than good to an elder’s body. Therefore, one should pick whole-wheat varieties without any corn syrup to ensure good health for seniors.
- Low-fat foods: Foods that contain natural fats are actually good for elders. Healthy fats are found in fish, nuts and olive oil. In fact, it is safe for elders to opt for full fat varieties in milk and yogurt. Salmon is useful for elders to manage pain during pujo.
Keeping the above dietary facts in mind would be helpful in taking better care of elders. Elder care becomes supremely necessary during this busy festive season. Wishing you all a healthy Pujo.
For further details, visit us at www.tribecacare.com to book an appointment.
E-mail us at:email@example.com or call us on +91 33 402 777 77 / +91 8017770323