19 May Cyclone Amphan: Do’s & Don’ts for Senior Citizens
Super Cyclone Amphan
According to the latest reports, Amphan has intensified into a ‘Super Cyclone’. Experts think the storm is about to hit coastal Orissa and West Bengal in the afternoon or evening of May 20, 2020. The cyclone will likely be accompanied by very heavy rains. Given the current COVID situation, this isn’t good news, especially for senior citizens who live alone or with an elderly spouse, and are managing without domestic help.
However, there is no reason to panic. Here are a few do’s and don’ts to stay safe and comfortable until the storm blows over.
Cyclonic situations often result in power cuts, waterlogging, and problems in transmission lines. Therefore it is advisable to be ready for all eventualities:
- Store enough water for drinking as well as for other purposes
- Keep your mobile phones and other chargeable devices, such as emergency lamps, fully charged
- Store enough provisions – groceries, medicines, cooking gas, mosquito repellents, etc. – to last at least a couple of days.
- Keep a list of emergency contact numbers handy
- Make sure your doors and windows are in a good state of repair.
If you live in or around the coastal areas and may need to be evacuated, contact the authorities early and let them know about your situation. The safety of senior citizens are considered a high priority under all circumstances.
During the storm and immediately after:
- Keep your doors and windows shut, but make sure you have enough ventilation
- In case of thunder/lightning, unplug all electrical devices
- Don’t venture out
- Avoid using candles and lighters
Cyclone Amphan will eventually blow over, as all cyclones do. So while you are waiting for normalcy to return, why not pen your sweetest memory to participate in the Family Day: Sweet Memory Contest for Senior Citizens?
If you need further help or advice, give us a call. TriBeCa Care is happy to be by your side. For more information call us at + 913366064208 or request a callback. We are also available by email at email@example.com