Oxygen Cylinders and Oxygen Concentrators both deliver oxygen to patients who need it. But the methods of delivery are very different. In India, Oxygen Cylinders are more prevalent, but increasingly Oxygen Concentrators are becoming popular with both doctors & patients.
The main difference is in the way the oxygen is provided. Oxygen Cylinders have a finite amount of oxygen compressed within them and inhaled by the user until it runs out. Oxygen Concentrators filter and generate medical grade oxygen, at an infinite supply so long as the battery that powers this mechanism has life.
An oxygen concentrator works like an air conditioning machine: it takes in air, modifies it and delivers it in a new form. The only difference is that a concentrator purifies the air and makes it available for patients who have low oxygen levels in their blood.
That difference also highlights the dosage methods used by each type of device.
· All oxygen cylinders deliver oxygen on Continuous Flow.
· With oxygen concentrators, it tends to vary by device, as some of the more portable options operate on pulse-dose delivery.
What are the benefits of an Oxygen Concentrator?
Oxygen concentrators offer several advantages over oxygen cylinders.
- Consistency – Whereas oxygen cylinders can run out of oxygen, an oxygen concentrator will never run out of oxygen as long as it has air available and a supply of power. An oxygen concentrator extracts oxygen from the air itself, making the supply unlimited and readily available.
- Safety – An oxygen cylinder could begin to leak, and oxygen saturated air increases the risk of a fire. If a fire ignites under these circumstances, it is harder to extinguish because oxygen induced fires burn hotter than many other kinds of fires. Pulse-dose oxygen concentrators simply create oxygen as needed, eliminating the concern of leaks, and therefore the concern of flammability.
- Size – An oxygen concentrator is designed for convenience and portability – so it weighs much less. On the contrary, Oxygen Cylinders are bulky and heavy.
- Cost – is another factor to consider. For Oxygen Concentrators, the price is largely upfront. For Oxygen Cylinders, costs will be incurred over time – e.g. new Oxygen Cylinders purchased periodically as needed. However, innovative companies like Tribeca Care in India are making Concentrators more affordable by making them available on long term rentals.
An Oxygen Concentrator is a great choice for all the above reasons. But individuals should also consider having a backup Oxygen Cylinder as well as additional, fully charged batteries for the Oxygen Concentrator in case of a power outage.
Do I want to rely on battery life or oxygen supply? What size device am I looking for? Do I want a bulky cylinder in the house or an easy to move concentrator? These are all questions that a Tribeca Care expert can help you with. In the end, it’s about deciding what offers the best choice for your lifestyle.
A Tribeca Care – An eldercare in India expert can train you how to use an Oxygen Concentrator, how to look after it and how to ensure it is working properly. You can also visit the Tribeca Care E-store to know more about Renting or Purchasing an Oxygen Concentrator.
Talk to our elder care experts: Click here.