Loss of appetite is called Anorexia. In this case, a person eats less than one normally consumes. It’s a symptom and several symptoms can cause loss of appetite including physical, biological, mental as well as emotional factors. This problem is not an emergency; it can happen to anyone, anytime. Some may experience loss of appetite for certain period of time of some may avoid food for many days. Loss of appetite is very common in both child and elderly people.
What are the causes of appetite loss?
- Loss of appetite in children may be because of,
- Slow growth rate
- Not getting enough rest
- Not eating right food
- Depression or lathery
- Intestinal infections
- Side effects of antibiotics
- Loss of appetite in older adults can be due to,
- Chronic lung disease or COPD
- Neurological disorders or Parkinson’s disease
- Sleep disorder
- Chronic liver disease
- Cardio disease
- Hormonal changes
What are the symptoms of loss of appetite?
Get immediate medical help if you are suffering from these symptoms,
- Sudden weight loss
- Irregular heartbeat
- Breathing problem
- Chest pain
- Lack of interest in eating food or vomiting
- Irregular menstrual cycle among females
How do you treat loss of appetite?
Your doctor may prescribe medicines that can decrease your problems. Sometimes, medication is the cause of this condition. Therefore, treatment may include certain exercises to increase the level of energy and helps to keep you active.
- You should exercise daily
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Try to avoid balance diet
- Routine is an essential part of old age. Maintain a routine of meal in which breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks is included in the plan and follow that every day.
- Join laughing clubs
- Talk therapy
- Eat rich-protein, vitamin foods, high-calorie and try to consume liquid foods
- Take sleeping pills when needed, to help you for a better sleep
- Participate in group activities to reduce depression
- Eat what you like to eat
Loss of appetite can always be prevented by living a healthy lifestyle, one can reduce the problems. You will feel energetic and active for the whole day if you eat vegetables, fruits, protein foods, exercise on a daily basis and sleep for at least seven to eight hours in a day.
Email us at email@example.com