25 Mar Psychological Counselling: Taboos and Treatment in India
Making your mental health a priority is something that goes without saying. But, in this day and age, where people are constantly under stress and suffering from frequent anxiety attacks, mental health has somewhere taken a backseat. What’s worse is the fact that as many don’t understand the concept of mental illness. They fear seeking psychological counselling as a treatment method due to the different taboos associated with it.
Some of the most common psychological counselling taboos that we are still combating in India are:
1. Matter of shame
Let’s face it – ‘log kya kahenge’ is the most stupid yet the most pertinent problem when it comes to psychological counselling. You’re aware of your mental health and you know the best way to take control of your mental health is through counselling. But, what stops you from this is the shame and the uncertainty of what the society would think or say.
2. It is a personal weakness
Call it lack of awareness or sheer ignorance. However, if you opt for psychological counselling, many consider you to be weak. But what you need to remember is that nothing and no one is above your mental wellness. It’s not a sign of weakness to acknowledge that you’re suffering from mental illness and seeking counselling for the same.
3. It is just mood swings
Yes, mental health is taken very lightly in India. As many aren’t aware of mental illness, they brush it away by saying it’s a mood swing that will pass by. But, if you keep feeling low all the time and have frequent nervous breakdowns, psychological counselling is the best treatment for you.
While we discussed a few of the taboos, here are some treatments related to psychological counselling.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: Acceptance and commitment therapy encourages you to accept your negative emotions and consider it a passing emotion so that it doesn’t consume you.
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy: This therapy allows you to review your childhood incidents and how you coped with different situations.
- Group Therapy: A group of people with similar kinds of issues come together and discuss it. This way it gives you an opportunity to know different people who are facing issues similar to yours.
- Interpersonal Therapy: This psychological counselling helps in the treatment of depression. You are asked to discuss your relationship with other individuals and the different ways in which it affects you.
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: This therapy analyses the pattern, behaviour of an individual. If what’s bothering you comes to the limelight, then there are methods suggested to improve this behaviour.
Awareness starts from within and the same is true for those suffering from mental illness. While there are numerous ways to treat this ailment, a certain level of awareness about this condition in a nation like India is important. Setting aside all the apprehensions and myths, it’s very important to take care of your mental health and psychological counselling is one treatment that helps you deal with it.
We, at TriBeCa Care, care about you, and your family. Our Elder Care is categorically structured to provide the elderly with the support that they deserve. If you have any further queries then feel free to reach us. Call us at + 913366064208 or request a callback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org