“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
The wish to travel around the world can remain a wish forever if you are suffering from any kind of physical pain, especially if you have painful toes or a knee joint pain. While walking, about 90% of our body weight rests on our toes. The most common toe and foot conditions that affect people are bunions and big toe joints.
Dis-colouration of foot, pain, swelling, numbness or other problems associated with the great toe or bunions on either side of the foot are very common problems.
Causes of painful toes
- Nerve disorders/damage– Nerve damage or disorders may cause numbness in the toes. Often a tingling sensation or numbness may be because of biomechanical conditions that exert pressure on the sides of the foot. Treatment and remedies to this issue is very easily available and restores sensation when the numbness is caused because of any kind of physical stress.
- Weak bones– Lack of Calcium and Phosphorous in bones resulting in bone weakness may also cause toe pain.
- Bunions– The enlargement of big toe joint is termed as Bunions. These causes pain because of shoe pressure or any kind of damage within the joints. A tailor’s bunion is caused as a result of changes in the foot’s bony framework. The fifth metatarsal bone starts to bulge outward, while the little toe moves inward resulting in an enlargement. This can be a result of too-narrow shoes rubbing and causing pressure.
- Hallux Limitus and Hallux rigidus– Loss of motion in foot as a result of abnormality in foot mechanics can cause hallux limitus. This may result in numbness or pain eventually becoming arthritis of foot if left unattended for a long time. This is called Hallux rigidus. Discomfort while walking and inability to walk properly results because of these foot disorders.
- Injury– Injury of toes and sprain of the big toe is also very common among sportsmen causing numbness or pain. Long term problems may arise because of these injuries if left untreated.
Here are some basic symptoms for toe pain:
- Pain: – Pain is the most common and noticeable symptom of painful toes. This pain can stop you from enjoying your everyday activities.
- Morning Stiffness: – Stiffness can make joints harder and difficulty to move or walk whereas morning stiffness is an early indication of arthritis. Stiffness that lasts longer is generally a symptom of inflammatory arthritis. In case of extended activity like sleeping or sitting, you get difficulty or you may feel stiffness.
- Joint pain and swelling: – Joint pain can also be called joint stiffness that occurs during movement or while taking rest. Cartilage in between joints, agitated tissues and weak bones, can make your joints harder and cause difficulty in movement. Inflammation of joints can cause visible swelling and the toes may turn red. The joints become challenged in winding and stretching and may hurt while walking.
- Walking trouble: – All of these symptoms can give you extreme pain and trouble while you walk. This pain can even cause back pain, gaining weight and other related problems. Go for a treatment right away if you are suffering from these symptoms. This can end your day to day activities.
Physiotherapy treatment for painful toes and joints
Physical therapy treatment can help people of all ages, who are unable to move properly because of pain. It can help you in the following manners:
- Reducing pain
- Avoiding surgery
- Improve mobility
- Improve balance
- Prevent sudden falls
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org