17 Jul Physiotherapy exercises for slipped disc
Certain exercises can help reduce and check pain due to slipped disc.
Extension exercises or press-ups for slipped disc
- Press low back gently into extension by lying on the stomach and supporting the upper body up on the elbows, while keeping your hips on the floor. This position cannot be tolerated in the beginning. Hence it is advised to start slowly and carefully.
- Hold this position for five seconds, and gradually work up to 30 seconds for each repetition. This should be done for 10 repetitions.
Advanced extension exercises for herniated disc
- Slowly press up on the hands from the above position while keeping the pelvis in contact with the floor. Relax the lower back and buttocks for a gentle stretch.
- Hold this position for 1 second and for 10 repetitions
If you are not able to lie flat, you can do a similar exercise standing by arching backward slowly with hands on your hips. However, the position described above is usually preferred.
Low back muscle strengthening exercises
- Upper back extension. Raise your head and chest slightly against gravity while in the prone position (lying on the stomach ) and hands clasped behind the lower back looking at the floor,i.e staying low. Hold this position for 5 seconds working gradually upwards for 20 seconds. Complete this for 8-10 repetitions.
- Lower head and chest to the floor in the prone position, lightly raising an arm and the opposite leg slowly. Lock your knee 2 to 3 inches from the floor. Hold the position for 5 seconds. This should be done for 8 to 10 repetitions. Build up your strength and slowly start holding this position for 20 seconds.
Abdominal muscle strengthening exercises
- Curl-ups. This exercise is for the upper abdominal. Lie on your back with knees bent, arms folded across your chest, and the pelvis slanted to even your back. Slowly curl up by lifting your head and shoulders from the floor. Hold this position for 2-4 seconds. Slowly lower to starting position. Once your strength builds up try to complete 2 sets of 10 curls.
Take care not to lift your head up too high. If you have neck pain, first place your hands behind your head to support your neck.
- This exercise is for the lower abdominal. Stiffen your lower stomach muscles and slowly raise the straight leg 8 to 12 inches from the floor keeping the low back held flat against the floor. Hold leg raise for 8 to 10 seconds slowly lowering to starting position. Once your strength builds up try to complete 2 sets of 10 curls.
- Lie on your hands and knees. Slowly alternate your position between arching and rounding your back so that all three sections of your spine-lumbar (lower), thoracic (middle) and cervical (upper)extend together and then flex together. Do this slowly and gently, and do not force yourself. One cycle will take 3-4 seconds. Repeat stretch 5-6 times.
However, it is always advised to consult a physiotherapist before trying out these exercises.
We, at TriBeCa Care, care about you, and your family. Our Elder Care is categorically structured to provide the elderly with the support that they deserve. If you have any further queries then feel free to reach us. Call us at + 913366064208 or request a callback. Email us at email@example.com